Short hikes to stunning narrows and fun slot canyon exploration!
Nestled in the North Wash canyon system, the Irish Canyons are an excellent choice for those looking to get into more narrow, technical slot canyons. Many options exist, whether you’re looking for an introduction to navigating slot canyons, or an experience that will challenge you both physically and mentally. Featuring short approach hikes, long sections of narrows and many fun obstacles, these canyons are sure to deliver!
Upon booking, we’ll choose a canyon that best fits your groups abilities and meets your goals.
Reviews 2 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Easy, Moderate or Difficult - Customized for your group!
- Duration: 5-7 hours (canyon time)
- Difficulty: Easy – Difficult, depending on canyon choice
- Total Hiking Distance: 3 – 4 miles
- Rappels: Dependent on chosen route, usually a few between 20 and 80 feet
- Distance from Moab: 2 hours, one-way; Option to add scenic flight instead of driving (one-way)
- Distance from Hanksville: 25 minutes. Ask us about this option if you’re traveling to or from Capitol Reef National Park
- This canyon can be part of a Multi-day tour
- Season: All year, best in spring and fall
- All tours are private – just your group and your guide!
- 2 people – $280/person
- 3 people – $252/person
- 4 people – $239/person
- 5 people – $227/person
- 6+ people – $214/person
For some folks, squeezing through narrow “slot canyons” is the ultimate in Canyoneering. Though typically dry with no flowing water, these canyons have been carved from several millions of years of infrequent flash floods. Blarney Canyon, and it’s nearby “big brother” Leprechaun Canyon, showcase some of the narrowest slots in the deserts of Utah. Here you can explore the stunning sandstone hallway of “Belfast Boulevard.”
The approach hike consists of easy walking over ancient sand dunes. As we work our way up to the top of the canyon, distant views towards Lake Powell and the Henry Mountains become more dramatic. We’ll talk about the interesting geology and history of the area, or just gaze in awe at the jaw-dropping scenery.
Upon reaching the head of our chosen canyon, we’ll don technical canyoneering gear and body armor (knee pads!) We’ll spend some time talking about rappelling, down-climbing technique and offering pro-tips for descending the canyon in style. Once we’ve made our way into the slot, chimney after chimney is encountered, all of which are great fun with plenty of problem solving. There are even a few rappels buried somewhere in the midst of this madness! Similar to – but much longer than – Entrajo Canyon, this is a fantastic slot for those wanting to get started on a lifetime of exploring technical slot canyons. While these slots can be serious work – they are serious fun!
- All canyoneering gear and safety equipment
- Instruction from experienced and fun guides
- Transportation to and from the canyon
- Private tour – just your group plus your guide(s)!
- Lunch and snacks – please bring enough food to be out and active for 5-7 hours
- Water – we recommend at least 2 liters of water per person
- You’re welcome to leave snacks and water in the vehicle for the ride back to Moab.
My husband, our two friends and I spent three days exploring slot canyons with Desert Highlights in February of this year. We had a great experience. The canyons were spectacular, the rappels and downclimbs were managed safely, and the experience was totally tailored to our skill level/fitness/comfort with heights. Lunch was delicious and we even enjoyed the car ride to and from, which allowed us time to ask questions and learn about the local area - everything from geology to where to get the best Mexican food. An all-around great experience that I would recommend to anyone!
Leprechaun Canyon was incredible! There was a good hike in with great views to start with. Once we got to the canyon itself the challenge began - but Melissa and Jamie were so helpful, so patient and so personable that although it was hard, it was also so fun and rewarding! I highly recommend this trip!